Friday, July 17, 2009

Reader response: "Research"

The chapter "Research," by Ron Powell, summarizes the state of research in library and information sciences and briefly describes different methods researchers employ. This was a short chapter, and I found myself wishing that Powell had sacrificed a little brevity for the sake of exploring these methods in more depth and giving the reader examples of studies using each method.

It did pick up for me a little when Powell began to describe methods "more unique to the study of library resources and services" (173): content analysis, bibliometrics, and comparative librarianship. The first two methods in particular appeal to me for two reasons: first, they are more oriented toward texts than human subjects (there's a reason I wasn't a psych major), and second, they are by nature interdisciplinary; Powell doesn't give examples, but I imagine content analysis and bibliometric studies tend to focus on particular areas of knowledge, so the researcher will be able to investigate her field of expertise.

There are qualitative methods I wish Powell had described in more detail and, again, given concrete examples, because the terms sound familiar to me from my studies in religion: phenomenology, hermeneutics, reflexivity. I'm familiar with hermeneutics from my studies in biblical interpretation, but what does it mean to do a hermeneutic study in library science? I suppose that's why further reading is suggested at the end of the chapter.

I have to be honest and mention that "true" research is the reason I haven't yet finished my dissertation and why I'm not sure I want to be a professor; I love teaching, but I'm not sure I want to do scholarship. In my limited reading of library scholarship thus far, however, I think it's possible I'd be more interested in library research than humanities research, because it seems more pragmatic and concrete than the sort of scholarship I was doing as a religious studies student. Part of my journey over the next two years will be discovering whether this avenue of librarianship is one I want to explore.

Powell, Ron. "Research." The Portable MLIS: Insights From the Experts, ed. Ken Haycock and Brooke E. Sheldon. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited, 2008, pp. 168-178.

No comments:

Post a Comment