Thursday, July 23, 2009

IST 511, Day Four

So in an earlier post I briefly mentioned the potential conflict between intellectual freedom and my concerns as a parent. My daughter isn't even two yet, and aside from randomly grabbing books off the shelf when we're in the library and carrying them around because she does that with everything, she hasn't shown any interest in inappropriate materials. So I have a while before I worry about whatever content she might come across in her reading. But I am a moderately protective sort of parent and have certain values I would like to instill in my child and all that, so this is on the far horizon for me.

According to the ALA Code of Ethics, librarians are supposed to provide equitable access to all library users and safeguard their rights to privacy and confidentiality. There's nothing in the statement about minors. There's also no way the ALA can defrock or disbar you, and there will clearly be cases when the code of ethics will conflict with the interests of parents, the community, the library's own interests (what happens when the person who wants you to ban a book also controls your funding?), the law, and so on. At first the contrarian in me wants to rebel against this code, and it's not just because I'm a parent (because, let's face it, I was a contrarian before I was a parent). I am not, and I doubt any librarian really is, a librarian first and foremost with no other allegiances. We have other bonds, to our families, to other members of our community, to our local and national governments. We're each at the center of a unique web of obligations and have to figure out how to negotiate them for ourselves. Each of us holds our own unique middle ground, and nobody else can stand there with us. So I am glad the code of ethics is there, to provide the full force of its pull in the tug of war between intellectual freedom and whatever struggles against it. I hope I can always uphold it, and one reason I look forward to academic librarianship is that the university is the ideal environment for free inquiry and I'm proud to be a part of that pursuit.

This all plays into my fascination with first amendment issues. Until now I've mainly been interested in the religion clause, but it is interesting to see how intellectual freedom, the corollary to freedom of speech, plays out in the world of librarianship. Sometimes I get caught up in the debates, but for the most part I enjoy considering issues from all sides and chilling in the big gray areas.

On a lighter note, we also talked about professional organizations. In the past I've attended annual conferences for the American Philological Association (the other APA, the one that doesn't have a maddening citation style, not that I'm bitter) and the American Academy of Religion, both of which are small beans compared to the ALA, which has TWO annual conferences, plus various divisions with their own annual conferences, plus regional organizations with THEIR own annual conferences, plus other specialized organizations like the American Theological Library Association with THEIR own annual conferences. And everyone who goes to these conferences knows the point is to 1. present scholarship 2. get free stuff from vendors 3. drink and 4. hook up. Well, some of us are happily partnered and not interested in #4, but free stuff and drinking? Several times a year, in some of the country's most fabulous metropolitan areas? I'm there. Here are some librarians in my hometown at the 2007 ALA Midwinter conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment