Monday, July 20, 2009

IST 511, Day One

I have been running full speed for nearly 14 hours, so this is not going to be much, but here are a few things that stuck with me from my first day of IST 511 (or the first day of our residency, since we've been working online for several weeks):

One of the public librarians who spoke today, Kate McCaffrey, worked in a prison library for a couple of years. My husband and I just watched all five seasons of The Wire over the course of a few weeks a while ago, and I was reminded of this scene:



We're told that as a result of presentations from librarians who work in all different kinds of libraries, which will be happening all week, there's a good chance we'll change our mind about what kind of librarians we want to be. I am still pretty convinced I want to work in an academic library, but after today I think I'd rather work in a prison library than an urban public library!

I bring my laptop with me but try not to use it during class because I know I'll get distracted, but I'm always writing down links I want to investigate later, such as:



I'm glad I have a few weeks after this class to decompress, because I feel like I'm getting stuffed with ideas and areas of interest I want to explore (not to mention I visited the Syracuse rose garden yesterday and now want to learn all I can about roses!). I'm really enjoying the class so far, even though I've been going pretty much nonstop for fourteen hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment